An organized, intensive effort to maximize the school’s major gift fundraising potential within a finite time period to fund specific institutional priorities.
Custom designed specifically for private secondary education, our process has four components:
1: Feasibility Study
Duration: 3 Months
Prior to undertaking a capital campaign, the leadership must understand all of the important issues, have a good sense of the most likely outcome of a major capital funding initiative and know what will be expected of them. The feasibility study is that all-important consultation, discerning answers to key questions such as:
- Can we take this on at this time?
- Does it make sense to do a campaign now?
- Will our key investors support a capital campaign?
- How much can we raise?
The feasibility study addresses each of these items and articulates specific recommendations regarding the next steps toward successfully executing a capital campaign. It is the first step toward a successful funding initiative.
During this phase, Advancement Partners will:
- Talk to your donors, stakeholders and prospects to determine their willingness to support a campaign
- Test the preliminary case for support
- Determine the philanthropic potential
- Identify institutional challenges that must be resolved before launching a capital campaign
- Develop a campaign strategy and implementation plan
- Establish a project budget and timeline
2: Campaign Preparation
Duration: 5 Months
The all-important process of transferring ownership of your plan to those who will be asked to fund it. During this phase, we will:
- Create the top prospect list.
- Engage the top prospects in the planning process.
- Resolve all outstanding issues and answer all outstanding questions regarding the project.
- Finalize the components of your case for support.
- Complete all prospect research.
- Prepare marketing materials (video, case statement, etc.) to support solicitation activities.
- Secure the campaign leadership team.
- Put management processes in place before solicitation starts.
- Provide solicitation training.
3: Major Gift Solicitation
Duration: 8 to 10 Months
This is when the top giving prospects will be asked, in person, for their financial support.
- Organize and execute campaign cultivation events.
- Create customized solicitation strategies for the top giving prospects.
- Manage, coordinate, actively participate in and direct the entire major gift process.
- Make solicitation calls with you.
- Complete detailed call reports so there is a documented history of the major gift process.
- Establish monthly benchmarks to measure progress.
4: General Solicitation
This is the phase during which we solicit the balance of the constituency. Traditionally, we recommend that this phase be coordinated with the school’s annual fund.
Starting a Capital Campaign
If you are interested in discussing the possibility of a capital campaign at your school, please get in touch with Terry Fairholm at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-717-9980.